Novell has generously granted permission to release Amber as open source. I need to choose a license and a place to host it. Currently I'm thinking GPL and Google Code. The GPL isn't too restrictive because applications talk to the query agent using a pipe, so a debugger frontend or whatever would not be required to be GPL.
I've been doing more wrestling with ATSUI to try to handle some tricky Hindi text. Hindi is basically left-to-right but sometimes a vowel that comes logically after a consonant is actually rendered to the left of the consonant. In this case ATSUI reorders the vowel visually which confuses our textrun infrastructure, because it depends on characters proceeding in a uniform direction. I'm dealing with this by fusing the reordered characters into a single atomic cluster. This is suboptimal, because you can't select part of the cluster or place the caret within the cluster, but it's probably good enough.
Beyond that, I've made considerable progress on the new textframe. It can now display many Web pages without crashing. I've also got textruns refactored so that all platform-specific code is isolated to gfxFont and gfxFontGroup implementations; most of the platform-specific code is code to use platform APIs to extract positioned glyph data, which is then stored in gfxTextRun (which is now the same code on all platforms). I've got Mac and Windows textrun setup implementations now too.
I'm going to be off work for a few days. Back at work on Monday, hopefully.
All four of us current and soon-to-be Gecko developers in Auckland met for lunch today. It was exciting!