Thursday 22 November 2012
I recently spent two weeks in North America, which means two trans-Pacific flights and eight movies to watch. None of them were very good, but some were more interesting than usual for various reasons.
- Ted: A little more amusing than expected.
- Johnny English Reborn: Very low expectations, slightly exceeded.
- Savages: Quite good. Definitely reinforces my pro-legalization inclinations. Films like this make me grateful that, even though the stakes in my job are actually higher than most organized crime, we have to deal with considerably less kidnapping, torture and murder.
- Edward Scissorhands: I guess I'm not really a Tim Burton person.
- Total Recall: Not bad, but not special. Stick with the original.
- Painted Skin 2: Resurrection (Chinese): Nothing special, but I do have a soft spot for the genre.
- The Italian Job (original 60s version): I expected a regular caper film and got ... this. I certainly didn't see the ending coming. I don't know what to think.
- Alfie (original 60s version): Nothing induces self-righteous rage in me like an absolute creep being successful with women, and that's what this movie is largely about. As a movie I suppose it's not bad.