Tuesday 14 October 2014
I just finished a three-week stint in North America, mostly a family holiday but some work too. Some highlights:
- Visited friends in Vancouver. Did the Grouse Grind in just over an hour. Lovely mountain.
- Work week in Toronto. Felt productive. Ran barefoot from downtown to Humber River and back a couple of times. Lovely.
- Rendezvoused with my family in New York. Spent a day in White Plains where we used to live, and at Trinity Presbyterian Church where we used to be members. Good sermon on the subject of "do not worry", and very interesting autobiographical talk by a Jewish Christian. Great time.
- Visited the 9/11 Museum. Very good, though perhaps a shade overstressing the gravity of 3000 lives lost. One wonders what kind of memorial there will be if a nuke kills 100x that many.
- Our favourite restaurant in Chinatown, Singapore Cafe, is gone :-(.
- Had some great Persian food :-).
- The amazingness of New York is still amazing.
- Train to Boston. Gave a talk about rr at MIT, hosted by my former supervisor. Celebrated 20-year anniversary of me starting as his first (equal) grad student. Had my family watch Dad at work.
- Spent time with wonderful friends.
- Flew to Pittsburgh. More wonderful friends. Showed up at our old church with no prior warning to anyone. Enjoyed reactions. God continues to do great things there.
- La Feria and Fuel-and-Fuddle still great. Still like Pittsburgh a lot.
- Flew to San Francisco. Late arrival due to flight being rerouted through Dallas, but did not catch Ebola.
- Saw numerous of seals and dolphins from the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Showed my family a real Mozilla office.
- Two days in Mountain View for Gecko planning meetings. Hilarious dinner incident. Failed to win at Settlers.
- Took family to Big Basin Redwoods State Park; saw pelicans, deer, a dead snake, a banana slug, and a bobcat.
- Ever since we made liquid nitrogen ice cream for my bachelor party, I've thought it would make a great franchise; Smitten delivers.
- Kiwi friends in town for Salesforce conference; took them to Land's End for a walk. Saw a coyote.
- Watched Fleet Week Blue Angels display from Twin Peaks. Excellent.
- Played disc golf; absolutely hopeless.
- Went to church at Home of Christ #5 with friends. Excellent sermon about the necessity of the cross.
- Flew home on Air NZ's new 777. Upgraded entertainment system is great; more stuff than you could ever hope to watch.
Edge Of Tomorrow: Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers. Not as good as Groundhog Day but pretty good.
X-Men: Days Of Future Past: OK.
Godzilla: OK if your expectations are set appropriately.
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes: watched without sound, which more or less worked. OK.
Amazing Spider-Man 2: Bad.